Monday, April 18, 2011

not so smart

I keep seeing more toddlers and kids transfixed to a tablet computer or smartphone while they're having their meals or being spoon-fed. I'm not sure whether it's the same when they're in their homes or only in public places. In my opinion, it's not a good thing to do. Does it mean that they won't eat without the tablet or phone? Whatever happens to the good ol' days of concentrating to your meals?

If the parents did it because that's the only way their kids would sit happily for a meal, then for me they're just taking the easiest way out.

It's not just children who are affected with tablet or smartphone. One can only look at the seated passengers in a morning train. Almost all of them look down at their smartphones, either playing games or watching movies.

However, the most tragic sight is when a couple seated for their meal are busy looking down at their smartphones instead paying attention to each other.

Is your partner very boring that you need to keep yourself interested through games? Is updating your Farmville or Restaurant Story a matter of life & death that it can't wait after the meal is over?

We have to admit that technology changes a lot of things in our lives. It's supposed to make our lives better instead of making it worse. If playing games on your phones is preferable than talking to your partner or parents, then what's the use of having another person in your life? One has to draw a line when personal interaction is required in his/her life, and when to keep the phones in their pocket.

Personally, I'm not tempted to upgrade to smartphones or tablets. I resist the urge because I don't need it. I don't need to browse all the time, I listen to music through my MP3 player, and I don't need to play games every time. I only need my mobile to make & take calls, send SMS, and take pictures.

But I finally used a smartphone after my old & reliable mobile was finally out of service. I did it because there wasn't any standard mobile that's up to my liking, and I also felt that smartphone is the future, whether I like it or not. I upgraded, tried to accept it, and the only good thing about it was that it made waiting less boring. That's the only benefit of having a smartphone for me until today.

So the next time we're talking or eating and I smash your phone with my baseball bat, you'll know why I do that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

did i ever do that to u??
hope not coz me not using smartphone yet,hehehe :)

starlight said...

you're safe! :)

kajoemanis said...

Today parents seem to forget that they are given a power to create their children like they want them to be. I see more parents give the up the parenting to gadgets easily simply because they don't want hear their children whining.

Well, we've lost our humanity values anyways. What's the limit?